Friday 12 September 2014

Why were they Throwing Her Away?

Why were they throwing her away?

There are times when people tell you thousand stories and the lessons they teach. I too heard with deep emotions when people talked about the good deeds they see someone do. But, experience for me is always the best teacher. You have to see it to believe it!

A quote on Humanity by Buddha!
Photo Courtesy: http://www.quotesvalley.com/quotes/humanity/


2nd September 2014, 10:29 PM, my little angel nephew Ayaan popped in this world with a cry I was dying to hear. Along with other post pregnancy treatments given to my elder sister, one of the most recommended was a daily massage for both the child and the mother. 

Naturally, the first thing we did was, started hunting for a Masseuse. Everyone in the neighborhood with experience or not recommended this lady, Bipasha

She had 40 years of experience as her qualification which was enough for us to meet her. We called her and she paid a visit with mubarakbaads.

Bipasha Aunty in Action!
Bipasha Aunty in Action. Photo by Amreen Khan
Her First Impression? A stern manly voice, hair tied up in a bun, black night gown with a heavily built body. I was unsure but, my mother knew her since two decades. No wonder she was hired!

She would massage the baby, sometimes throwing praises sometimes, predicting his future behavior and meanwhile, Ayaan would cry, probably wondering what in the world was happening to him!

3 days past, I would sit there while she massaged the baby and pass her the props as she required amidst Ayaan's routine cries. Being a chatty person, she told me that she also massages a baby GIRL in the next apartment. She said the father of the girl was a unhappy soul because, he wanted a BOY child. My natural expression was "Kya Faltugiri hai!". She went on further with her gossip and said they were going to exchange the child with one of their relatives who had around 4 boys (Maybe producing just in abundance to meet demands of such fools).

Out of a natural rage, me and my sister started exchanging some common phrases and facts about girl child, Female foeticide, the decline in females per 1000 males, Sex determination, Abortion etc.

During the flow of our conversation, Bipasha Aunty smiled at us, as and when she understood some phrases. Out of mere curiosity I asked her how many children she had. She told me, "Saath, aur Masha-Allah sab ladkiyan!".

For an instance I thought about population explosion but she interrupted "Itni garibi mein bhi humne koi kami nahi ki inhe paalne mein. Ek ko toh uske maa baap phek rahe the kachre mein." (She said this so casually as if this was some routine news for her!). She had my attention and a rising respect too. I wanted to know more about the girl and her biological parents, every detail of the story but, otherwise chatty Bipasha aunty didn't open up much.

I salute people like Bipasha Aunty who have the courage to ignore all their financial adversities and take such steps! She lives in a small house located in the slums of Dharavi but, she has a big heart and a good soul. She got all my respect. The girl she adopted, to bring her out of a misery is now 8 years old, studying in a municipal school. She named her Sania Zaheer Khan. One of Bipasha Aunty's daughter had died out of mental illness.

Its a matter of pride to have such angelic souls in the society but, there Is one BIG Question i still am searching a justifiable answer for.

 

Why in the first place were the parents throwing away that girl child?

 

Is a girl child that disastrous a monster we dread will end the world? After all the Satyamev Jayate on Sundays, Protest rallies and all the Social speeches on news channels why do people still want to throw away their GIRL child? why do they still want to exchange them for a male gender?

I also know if i go and ask that monstrous father why he wants to exchange his daughter, he would questions my intentions and tell my dad "Khan saab aapki ladki ko sambhal kar rakho, Social workeri soojhi hai zyada" or simply go mum out of shame, but won't answer the question actually asked.
Does he even have a justifiable answer?? 
I just hope such a shitty mindset dies with such people who follow these effing practices!


Please share your views and opinions about the topic.
Would also like to know if any grammatical error is made in this blog post.
You can reach me on amreenbanokhan@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment